1. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Ridley weaves a bold tapestry of iconography. From the desolate dreamscapes of Andrew Wyeth to the relics of 50s Americana & its A-bomb paranoia, the artist creates a startling & often strangely funny evocation of a damaged youth. The cut, from the image of a child blowing away the burning embers of immolation, to a shot of the golden wheat field dancing on the breeze, is perhaps the greatest moment in film editing.

2. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

3.8 stars. One for the spooky kids. More graceful than the staccato hurdy-gurdiness of Ridley's plays (which is probably for the good since what works on stage does not necessarily on film). Intriguing that the specifically East End rhythms of Ridley's writing translate so well to the American prairie like clotted Flannery O'Connor. Really shovels it on, but no less devastating for that. It's gonna linger I can tell.

4. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

The setting is 1950s Idaho: a prototypical 'flyover America', white as Wonder Bread and empty of empathy. Not sure if we are ever given the view from outside the perspective of the boy; maybe that's the point. Blowing up animals for fun is grisly but understandable. But watching a second friend kidnapped after the first one was found dead, and not telling anyone? The rest of the film was meaningless after that point.

5. Deadcha's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Great imagery, thin characters. Memorable in its weirdness.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

By far the most off-kilter coming-of-age stories I've seen in a long time. It's startlingly horrifying at times. Nothing gory or overwhelming... but chilling to be sure. The worst thing about the film is the terrible non-ending. The last scene is so ludicrous that it made me laugh out loud. I hate when a potentially great movie just completely craps the bed by not sticking the landing. Just a god awful silly ending.

7. mpho3's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

I'm feeling generous with my two-stars. I really hated just about everything in and about this.

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Most people talk about Viggo, but the film truly lives and breathes through the marvelous Lindsay Duncan.

9. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Truly strange and disquieting, this film is like a Pollock painting with jarring color schemes, abstract interpretation and an unsettling nod that there is more beneath the surface. Add a sumptuous score from Ridley and you have a canvas fit for the eyes and ears. However, once you avert your gaze, you wonder what just happened and whether it all added up to more than simple artistry without underlying meaning.

10. Sarah's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Dark and absurd... at times (especially the end) there was a little too much melodrama and soaring music but in general it was creepy and thought provoking.

11. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

12. Faszinierender Stadtplan's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

13. Thomas's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

A few memorable scenes based on shock value but little else of value here.

14. Odradek's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

The dark, modern fairy tale about innocence lost and the nightmare of childhood. Beautiful imagery and score. Dark romanticism on celluloid.

15. WeDigRecords's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Very good, but hard to watch. Not in a technical way, in a 'how many emotionally distressing scenes in a row can you handle?' kind of way. It's well told, beautifully shot, and deeply unsettling. Calls to mind Ian Banks' The Wasp Factory.

16. michelle's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

love me some midwestern gothic

17. Dogville59's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

Brilliant in its horror. The Reflecting Skin is awesome. It is Canadian and is about the horrific effects of superstition, small town naivety, human propensity towards cruelty and just plain lack of knowledge mixed in with evangelical religiosity. It was brilliant in its horror. Not scary just devastating. The cinematography was amazing. I think the mark of a great director is brilliant cinematography.

18. Jimbrowski's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

In the mood for something bleak?!?!? Seriously though, what a little gem! Equal parts Days of Heaven, Spider, and Twin Peaks. Haunting, bizarre, and beautifully shot.

19. Ben Loory's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

woulda been 5 stars if the kid had screamed convincingly

20. Daniel Nguyen's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

This sinister film about Seth, a seemingly normal 8 year old boy, whose life drastically changes when his friend is murdered and his father is accused of the crime. This unique and dark plot line of a boy’s perspective is believable as he becomes fixated on a neighbor being a vampire who may be responsible for death of his friends. I enjoyed this film tremendously along with it’s beautifully shot scenes.

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

I love the way this film maintains its level of creepiness. It's as if this kid is living in a town full of insane people. It's no wonder that he turned out the way he did. I also admired the venom that Viggo had for his brother, which you probably don't see in most movies.

22. Bill Boothman's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

SPOILERS: This film creates an uneasy sense of emptiness achieved through the juxtaposition of americana imagery and the social deviance of its characters. The film seems to discourage emotional connection with its characters and instead uses them as a surface under which broods our anxieties about society. There may be much worse monsters than the ones we imagine and they may be much closer to home than we realize.

23. KonradK15's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

It's not a horror film. It drags along with some morbid things in it, but it's definitely not scary. Viggo Mortenson shows up half way through and make the film better.

24. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film The Reflecting Skin

2-2.5. Stylishly and evocatively comes to the conclusion that death ruins everything and everything leads to death. Very well-acted, but flawed at a fundamental level; it basically moves without a model and with a conflict that doesn't reach much of a satisfying conclusion. It's pretty and disturbing, but cyclical and naturalistic in such a way that it kind of peters out by the end.