1. FISCHER's rating of the film The Truth

Un des meilleurs rôles de Brigitte Bardot et en évidence un excellent "Clouzot"... www.cinefiches.com

2. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film The Truth

A decent piece of film-making distinguished by a philosophical approach towards exploring gender issues and the madness of love. It's most impressive in its depiction of how the individual's loss of mental balance can be a symptom of the inequities within society. Bardot gives a committed performance.

3. Muriel's rating of the film The Truth

Astonishingly detailed, implacable study of the social context that gave rise to the NewWave youth lifestyles. Conventional courtroom drama unveils the contradictions of a generation far less free than the cinema of the decade would make us believe. The leads - Sami Frey and BB - are credible every minute of it, and occasionally electrifying. Even as a seasoned viewer of 1960 European film, this was a surprise.

4. P D Dawson's rating of the film The Truth

A compelling court room drama that tells its story through flashbacks. The story focuses on Dominique Marceau and her affair and obsession with a freshly graduated composer. Clouzot's direction is subtle throughout and shows viewpoint from each character, always highlighting human frailties, over judgement and condemnation, which makes it a fresh and exciting court room drama amplified by Bardot's alluring presence.

5. Superfrog's rating of the film The Truth

I really like Clouzot and he normally consistently pleases me, but in this one the only interest I found were the remarks from the defense attorney. Bardot is good looking but extremely annoying. Photography and direction is good enough, but there still need to be some interest about what's on screen for it to matter.

6. Adam Whybray's rating of the film The Truth

Sophisticated courtroom drama more interested in existential than factual guilt (as appropriate to a film which spends much time in the coffee houses of Sartre & de Beauvoir. "There is a solidarity of all men in error and aberration. Must that solidarity operate for the tribunal and be denied the accused?" (Camus, 'Reflections on the Guillotine') More subtle in its feminism than 'Diabolique'. BB the best at ennui.

7. Sophie Taylor's rating of the film The Truth

Good film, but missing some subtitles. Need to fix this??

8. mirklete's rating of the film The Truth

Strangely modern sensibility. I genuinely believed both prosecution and defence arguments at different times. What is love other than a form of madness? Diminished responsibility describes it perfectly. Bardot is riveting, but my favourite character was the defence lawyer. He was fascinating.

9. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Truth

This may well have been my first time seeing Brigitte Bardot onscreen, and what an experience it was. She is stunningly beautiful, and wonderfully coquettish here,crucial to her performance as a woman on trial for murder, but who appears to be facing a vedict based on her approach to life and love. The supporting cast all do well, and director Henri-Georges Clouzot directs with his usual assured touch.

10. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film The Truth

A multi-layered philosophical film which draws on Albert Camus' essay on suicide and absurdism (represented by BB). Fantastic!

11. pintobean's rating of the film The Truth

The last couple lines broke me. The slimy, Richard Nixon looking lawyer dude made me fucking angry. The endless layers of respectability politics even more so. Brigitte Bardot is so amazing.

12. Christine's rating of the film The Truth

Utterly brilliant film. The characters, the shots, the acting, the story. It had me hooked from beginning to end. One cannot help but feel sympathy for the accused in this murder / suicide love story, whose passions are real and without the pretence of those she stands accused before. I only wish my French was better so I could understand all the non-translated phrases.

13. Pango's rating of the film The Truth

I loved this film so much. So ahead of it's time.

14. Kenneth McMurtrie's rating of the film The Truth

15. Tja's rating of the film The Truth

A severe monochrome rendering of the equally severe French judicial system's response to a crime of passion. Bardot is anything but sexy, yet carries the day convincingly. Smell the Gauloises and weep.

16. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film The Truth

Excellent film - in many ways ahead of its time. Challenging both the judgemental nature of bourgeois morality and the nihilism of bohemian life styles, and leaving the viewer to be the jury after all. Particularly impressive performances from Bardot and her defence lawyer Charles Vanel. Deserved the Oscar it did't get.

17. Dogville59's rating of the film The Truth

Well filmed, well acted and moving film showing the traps bourgeois 1960's morality set for anyone not willing to comply and also how those narcissistic enough to take advantage of those traps could destroy lives with callous impunity and I'm not talking only of Gilbert.

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Truth

It's not God that created this woman. She's not a sympathetic character at all. She plays around with people's emotions. She only wants you when she can't get you. She claims, "I am a person!" But is she? She is treated quite harshly, but then, that's the French for you. Haughty SOBs.

19. Elise Stambul's rating of the film The Truth

poignant, intense! Clouzot amène Bardot à son apogée dramatique. Montage au top

20. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film The Truth

This film casts Bardot in a role which not only fits her promiscuity as a glove, but also gives her a chance to show her acting prowess. She succeeds in turning this courtroom drama into something enjoyable. The editing I found to be really exciting as well, adding to the quality of the film. The downside is I don't see myself watching it again.

21. RoRoRoro's rating of the film The Truth

22. Dignan's rating of the film The Truth

This film is trite and useless. Irrationality in humanity is nearly always shown as romantic love yet the more important topic of irrationality in science is rarely seen.

23. Zac Weber's rating of the film The Truth

A poignant and emotionally complex film. Bardot and Sami Frey are outstanding, and the audience intimately experiences the defendant's frustration in court. However, Clouzot frames the film so we are focused on the tragedy of Dominique's life more so than her legal fate. One of Bardot's best performances.

24. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film The Truth

★★★ one must be capable of love to judge love.