1. Denis Zordan's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

3. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

5/10. Though the production design is lovely and many of the colors pop, TOKYO DRIFTER is style without much substance: what exists of a story is nigh incomprehensible.

4. Latias's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Short as it is the film is still too long for its story (slow pace). Bold colors to show personalities of characters (innovative for the time) and render various atmospheres. Like comic strip thus surprised to hear that Sutsuki never used storyboards! The discussion among 3 people near the end is really Kubric.

5. Dr. Q's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

This is a great movie, the sound, the imagery, the colors, the dialoge, sure, some would say its a bit soppy, but that's an element of style here

6. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Pure fun in this yakuza ballad with total freedom in colors

7. OLIVER-J's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

rewatched this one a couple weeks back. RIP to a true trailblazer.

8. Balthaz21's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Peu importe l'intrigue, la trame policière étant transgressée par une mise en scène fascinante, déconcertante de trouvailles visuelles et stylistiques. Une oeuvre essentielle en avance sur son temps... www.cinefiches.com

10. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

11. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

The colors... oh god the colors!! Great cinematic eye. Trades substance for style and it totally works.

12. Chris's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

super stylish and occasionally cool, but the great moments are too few and far in between, 7/10

13. marco's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

14. patchwork's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

15. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

16. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

17. Steve G.'s rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Well plotted but I slowly grew tired of the multitude of quirks here and lost almost complete interest by the end. Looks great but that's not nearly enough for me.

18. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

I like Seijun's disregard of movie logic, sacrificing plot for cool action sequences. The protagonist is so cool he whistles the movie's theme song.

19. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Another peak-period product of Suzuki's visual design-addled, genre-blending mind, this bildungsroman follows a reformed Yakuza's violence-spangled ascent toward the higher drift, one that abjures apathy and loyalty equally, embracing the provisional nature of bonds formed in conditions of permanent transition without sacrificing passion and care. Still, it amounts to a far better kaleidoscope than character study.

20. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

everything that's not a brawl or a gunfight is an incoherent mess. the Nikkatsu Noir house style is not complimented well by dense internal mob politics

21. HSBilly's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

suzuki's coolness is always stunning.

22. SpacePirate's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Not quite Branded to Kill, but has an intriguing plot and style to spare.

23. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

Criterions description of this one deems it “jazzy”, and I can’t find a more defining or appropriate word to call it. The swooning main theme, the flashy visuals, and the cool detachment of the performers gives it a very 60’s B-movie feel, that works to give it unique style. This style does not entirely work on me however, and I felt the film was cool and nicely stylized, but somehow lacking in my engagement with it.

24. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Tokyo Drifter

This movie started out with a couple of the most amazing black and white shots I've seen. This made me feel like this could become an amazing movie. The framing was nice and Suzuki used some nice cinematic tricks. For me it never delivered on its initial promise though. Why, why, why not stick with the black and white?