1. Teona Gal's rating of the film Tokyo Story

2. Dean Simons's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Moving. Incredibly shot. Recommended.

3. Eilidh's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Feel like I really should've watched more of Ozu's work before jumping into Tokyo Story but I was just too eager to see it! Upon first viewing, yes at times it can become quite tedious. However it quickly becomes apparent that there is a beautifully heart-breaking story taking place. Will definitely be coming back to this one in the future.

4. Inteleter's rating of the film Tokyo Story

The cinematography in this looked absolute beautiful and I really liked Setsuko Hara in this. I felt the themes of family were explored quite well in the film, especially in the second half. The ending was also quite great. Overall this was extremely good.

5. raggiodisole's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Deeply moving, a tone, rhythm and visual treat that represents a high-water mark in the language of film. A treat

6. stevesher1951's rating of the film Tokyo Story

7. McOpinionated's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Sublime - so contemporary and universal in its themes, yet so embedded in a place and time fascinatingly exotic to my eyes. I have been wondering what on earth my parents would have made of this, if they had seen it. In the end, you're on your own - whether being left, or doing the leaving. Obviously, you die alone. But you're on your own in life, ultimately. (Not just cos everyone you know will die before you.)

8. ela orleans's rating of the film Tokyo Story

1950's Japanese cinematography represents culturally such a distant world I am often struggling to appreciate the story entirely. There is beauty in Ozu's every shot, and there is universal moral or two in the end - life and family can be pretty disappointing and lonely, no matter how well-mannered everything seems.

9. mark's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Something missing… and I can't put my finger on it. But definitely a great film.

10. Charlie Douglas-Hamilton's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Beautifully tender, a sublime rumination on the power of life's intricacies. Truly a film to revisit again and again throughout life. Not much to say but watch

11. MisterColo93's rating of the film Tokyo Story

12. sashmere's rating of the film Tokyo Story

This hits a little too close to home and is particularly heartbreaking to me because there's no overly dramatic issues within the family. They're not a product of a broken home, they don't yell at one another, mom and dad stay together, none of the kids ends up as a failure. We love, we misunderstand, we drift apart. It happens all the time, even in the most loving, healthy, family.

13. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Tokyo Story

14. Tid's rating of the film Tokyo Story

This movie mostly consists of old people folding clothes, and yet it made me cry four times and is my favourite film without a doubt.

15. Owen Diplock's rating of the film Tokyo Story

A humble masterpiece. Gentle, restrained, perfect.

16. missbongobongo's rating of the film Tokyo Story

17. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Tokyo Story

My first Ozu, and certainly won't be my last. It's a tale of family, of time spent with loved ones, of how the roles of parent and child can start to reverse over time. Great performances, some fleeting humour, and lots of incredibly moving little moments make this close to a flawless classic.

18. SamSalt's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Tokyo Story suffers from a problem that many modern American blockbusters exhibit - it doesn't know when to stop. As a viewer I got the message loud and clear by the time the old couple leave Tokyo and everything after that was superfluous.

19. angeldromero's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Simplicity at its finest, gentle filmmaking, human like no other film at its core. Absolute masterpiece.

20. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film Tokyo Story

A quiet masterpiece. Setsuko Hara and Chishu Ryu are fantastic, and Ozu's style tells this simple story with such precision and perfection. His signature shots where the actors look straight into the lens, make you feel so intimately connected only to cut out to the big roaring city around them. The work of a true master.

21. Toromash's rating of the film Tokyo Story

The destruction of family values as capitalism distance ourself from what is the most important thing in life: the people that made us, who we are. Therefore creating the modern slave repeating the same loop of sequences until the end of time. NOTE: The widows face was so creepy to look at

22. Malt Frisky's rating of the film Tokyo Story

There's something a bit unnverving when they talk directly to camera that I was half expecting something creepy to happen. I like the simple tale of family life but this can be a really dry film, actors seem to show little emotion when their a family and in a room together, though the dad getting leggless was pretty funny. Even back in the 50s family life hasn't exactly changed that much and Ozu brings that to film.

23. l's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Inject it into my veins

24. vizija's rating of the film Tokyo Story

No family for old people.