1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Yes, it's a masterpiece, but that status is dangerous. Canon-crawlers new to Ozu are most likely to start here, and this supremely low-key classic is not the best entry point: for that, check out something like Late Spring. Then revisit Tokyo Story and believe the hype, as its initially banal interactions build into a rich portrait of an ordinary family and the forces (both natural and societal) that pressure them.

2. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Tokyo Story

3. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Tokyo Story

4. Josh Lowe's rating of the film Tokyo Story

An unfortunate star had to be omitted as the structure of the story lost me towards the end of the film. However, the raw emotion and purveying atmosphere it creates makes for an immersive story to be carried along on a journey with. I miss Japan.

5. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Tokyo Story

6. Faizal Agusdin's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Isn't life disappointing? Yes, nothing but disappointment.

7. dordairobert's rating of the film Tokyo Story

8. Jannik Jannik's rating of the film Tokyo Story

9. EdieEmm's rating of the film Tokyo Story

A culture, a family, shots, so composed, meticulous, static, restrained… Ozu presents a veneer so taut, so bulging with resonance that the poignancy can only burst out, through the cracks between images, in sudden little streams. Montage as emotional release, till the film is saturated with the quiet overflow of generations of feeling... No melodrama could be so deeply, insidiously affecting. Deserves all its praise.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Tokyo Story

I'm not the right audience for Ozu, but I can appreciate what he does. There's an amazing scene near the end where Kyoko is talking to Noriko. They are talking about people being selfish. Kyoko asks "Isn't life disappointing?" and Noriko smiles pleasantly and says "Yes it is".

11. FISCHER's rating of the film Tokyo Story

D'une grande sensibilité, un film rare et pénétrant sur la vieillesse et la solitude... www.cinefiches.com

12. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Tokyo Story

If you could condense the emotions from eating a perfect slice of tuna sashimi into 2 hours of cinema. This.

13. grassybrownie's rating of the film Tokyo Story

i'm such a late comer. if this is not what they call classic and beauty, then i don't know what is.

14. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Tokyo Story

First time watching Ozu and wow

15. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Tokyo Story

16. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film Tokyo Story

17. callum mclaughlin's rating of the film Tokyo Story

What I love about Ozu films is that they make me smile throughout and then cry at the end. His ability to find the charm in the everyday interactions between characters is something that I greatly admire. The themes in 'Tokyo Story' about the youths disregard for the old and then old's disappointment in the youth remains relevant to our modern times. I believe that this truly is a great film that transcends time.

18. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Tokyo Story

Love thy stepmom! Highly recommended.

19. Sarah's rating of the film Tokyo Story

20. Diogo Monteiro's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Tokyo Story is one of the most beautiful films of all time! It's so simple and honest!

21. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Tokyo Story

22. James Mackin's rating of the film Tokyo Story

The classic Ozu film. A film that makes me afraid of family.

23. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Possibly the most subtly performed film I have ever seen. It is all the most engrossing and emotional because of this. If this is what Ozu films are like, I must find more Ozu films to watch!

24. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Both the original and remake are great.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7