1. Arandhitio Ballagi's rating of the film Tokyo Story

sangat manusia, menyentuh relung hati ini, indah bet bangsat

2. abunchoffilms's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Truly, elemental humanity...the most reflective and transcendent narrative in all of cinema.

3. BenNash's rating of the film Tokyo Story

A deft and passionate portrayal of love and respect between generations. I'm not crying, you are.

4. andretz's rating of the film Tokyo Story

- a vida não é decepcionante? - sim, ela é.

5. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Yes, it's a masterpiece, but that status is dangerous. Canon-crawlers new to Ozu are most likely to start here, and this supremely low-key classic is not the best entry point: for that, check out something like Late Spring. Then revisit Tokyo Story and believe the hype, as its initially banal interactions build into a rich portrait of an ordinary family and the forces (both natural and societal) that pressure them.

6. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Tokyo Story

7. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Tokyo Story

8. Josh Lowe's rating of the film Tokyo Story

An unfortunate star had to be omitted as the structure of the story lost me towards the end of the film. However, the raw emotion and purveying atmosphere it creates makes for an immersive story to be carried along on a journey with. I miss Japan.

9. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Tokyo Story

10. Faizal Agusdin's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Isn't life disappointing? Yes, nothing but disappointment.

11. dordairobert's rating of the film Tokyo Story

12. Jannik Jannik's rating of the film Tokyo Story

13. EdieEmm's rating of the film Tokyo Story

A culture, a family, shots, so composed, meticulous, static, restrained… Ozu presents a veneer so taut, so bulging with resonance that the poignancy can only burst out, through the cracks between images, in sudden little streams. Montage as emotional release, till the film is saturated with the quiet overflow of generations of feeling... No melodrama could be so deeply, insidiously affecting. Deserves all its praise.

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Tokyo Story

I'm not the right audience for Ozu, but I can appreciate what he does. There's an amazing scene near the end where Kyoko is talking to Noriko. They are talking about people being selfish. Kyoko asks "Isn't life disappointing?" and Noriko smiles pleasantly and says "Yes it is".

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Tokyo Story

D'une grande sensibilité, un film rare et pénétrant sur la vieillesse et la solitude... www.cinefiches.com

16. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Tokyo Story

If you could condense the emotions from eating a perfect slice of tuna sashimi into 2 hours of cinema. This.

17. grassybrownie's rating of the film Tokyo Story

i'm such a late comer. if this is not what they call classic and beauty, then i don't know what is.

18. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Tokyo Story

First time watching Ozu and wow

19. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Tokyo Story

20. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film Tokyo Story

21. callum mclaughlin's rating of the film Tokyo Story

What I love about Ozu films is that they make me smile throughout and then cry at the end. His ability to find the charm in the everyday interactions between characters is something that I greatly admire. The themes in 'Tokyo Story' about the youths disregard for the old and then old's disappointment in the youth remains relevant to our modern times. I believe that this truly is a great film that transcends time.

22. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Tokyo Story

Love thy stepmom! Highly recommended.

23. Sarah's rating of the film Tokyo Story

24. Diogo Monteiro's rating of the film Tokyo Story

Tokyo Story is one of the most beautiful films of all time! It's so simple and honest!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7