1. Paul and Wade's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

This man's story provides a remarkable entrée to the sixties generation, in truth to the whole century. I already knew his work and a lot about his life, but learned a lot more from this film. In the end, a courageous life, remarkably unconventional yet in some ways intellectually quite rigorous. The film captures it well.

2. Kinch Kinski's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Fairly stock-standard but enjoyable doco. Some great vintage footage and real insights into what a damaged, flawed, and brilliant artist Burroughs was. Also far more influential than I'd realised. The guy really destroyed some lives along the way though...

3. Andris's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

I like Burroughs' work and he certainly was an interesting character but i thought this documentary was kind of boring especially because most of the interviewees were just bad. They had hardly anything interesting to say and some of them even said some quite stupid things.

4. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

A fantastic introduction to the man that has had such a gigantic influence not only on western literature, music and film of the 20th century, but even today. Burroughs was a true literary outlaw, so obsessed with the deconstruction of labels and social constructs he didn't even recognise himself as being part of the his own movement. A movement that everyone would agree he pioneered.

5. Tom Cottey's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Burroughs: The Movie by Howard Brookner is certainly the essential look at Burroughs' life, times, works (up until The Place of Dead Roads) and circle of friends, but A Man Within is an interesting and compassionate look at Burroughs' wider impact.

6. Zac Weber's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

This documentary accurately places Burroughs in the context of post-WWII cultural history. The anecdotal evidence portrays the author as a man of strong, but sometimes conflicting convictions. While the film dragged towards the end, those interested in the Beat Generation will find it worth their time. Afterwards, a desire to read more of Burroughs' work is unavoidable.

7. mortal's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Analytical and dry. Even with such a polarising figure as Burroughs at its center point, i felt bored quite fast and couldn't bear to sit through it completely. I never really liked some of the radical ideas and opinions from Burroughs, so i thought of giving him a second / third chance. Nothing changed. If you're into the beat movement and Burroughs, this is probably an interesting watch.

8. Sam Shapiro's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Good movie for those interested in William. Made me want to read Naked Lunch!

9. Weston Campbell's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Certainly interesting, but largely forgoes exploration of Burroughs' work in favor of anecdotal stories from celebrities and a rehashed effort to place him into a cultural history which he himself rejected (though this is admitted in the film). The result may be a good primer for anyone unfamiliar with Burroughs, but nothing new for the initiated.

10. smzeepiper's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

An intimate and thoughtful exploration into the life of the 20th century's greatest writer. Excellent interviews!

11. Stefan Drees's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

It's a very recommendable movie, making good use of historic audio and video material, joins it with a biographical narration and shows how influental Burroughs' works have been especially during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. But for my taste it is too much based on anecdotes from people who like to hear themselves talk.

12. André Custodio's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

I'll never eat Thankgiving turkey the same way again. Loved this. In my humble opinion, it doesn't get more American than Burroughs. He's a true rebel spirit.

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

An eye of the man, not the works. And who needs his works when he's his own best character?

14. Roman Horner's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Vorreiter einer Bewegung zu sein, von der man sich eigentlich schon vor Beginn distanziert hat - ein Etikett, das Burroughs zu Lebzeiten angeklebt wurde und bis heute dort haften bleibt. Eine Dokumentation über einen Schriftsteller, der viele (eigens begangene) Fehler irgendwann zu einem großen Richtigen zu akkumulieren wusste. Und damit unbewusst zum Dreh- und Angelpunkt einer ganzen Generation wurde.

15. Natalia Fazzioni's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

the movie is great, but the subtitles in portuguese are not synchronized. thanks.

16. Daniel's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Found it so true. A must, specially for those who don't know much about William's life.

17. BrianFromConcentrate's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

I've been interested in Burroughs for years. I think when I first used opiates, he was someone who I thought was brave. Now that I can look back on those years of my life, this film really made me think about my past more humanely, rather than regretfully. "Wherever I go and whatever I do I am always in the strait-jacket of junk, unable to move a finger to free myself." The ultimate control.

18. Doc Block's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

An unabashed look at a highly motivational figure.

19. Rubia Carolina's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

3/5 - 4 stars "I have never been gay a day in my life and I'm sure as hell not a part of any movement", said the same man that wrote 'this' queer novel because he was the only one who could write it and because he had "a duty to do these things". Burroughs was a deconstructor of labels and that's what especially calls my attention to him.

20. N. C.'s rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

thrilling, completely thrilling. Burroughs: a man that passed through generations and generations motivating, inspiring them. But a man, like others men that discovered that 'love is the answer' anyway.

21. flobota's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Unlike the Hunter S. Thomson documentary, this film kinda lives up to the insanity of it's main subject. In the beginning, it's a bit dull and overall, it's just scratching the surface of Burroughs' complexity – but then again: It's not trying to be more. Just a nice entry drug who wonder who was this man who inspired so many American artists.

22. christopher david's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

The book: Literary Outlaw was a great biography because it told (chronologically) the insane story of his life. I didn't feel his books could do anything for me after that, his life was more interesting than his writings. I'd like to see a biopic about him.

23. gea*'s rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Started off strong but ended with more focus on others rather than Burroughs himself. Could of done without some of the interviews. Too much repetition in what was being said. Felt they could of focused more on his work than his influence in music.

24. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film William S. Burroughs: A Man Within

Thoroughly engrossing from beginning to end. Wonderful stories from the people who knew Burroughs best, put in a beautiful, imaginatively filmed (and animated) setting. Lights the mind on fire.