1. Andrew Lang's rating of the film Yi Yi

Beautiful and humane film. The first Edward Yang work I have seen and I miss him already

2. Joshua Delos Reyes's rating of the film Yi Yi

3. Ralphesque's rating of the film Yi Yi

I wish the director had made a companion piece for this film called The Adventures of Yang-Yang.

4. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Yi Yi

“Daddy, can we only know half of the truth? I can only see what’s in front, not what’s behind. So I can only know half of the truth, right?”

5. Blue Roses's rating of the film Yi Yi

6. Boyuan123's rating of the film Yi Yi

edward yang is the tolstoy of cinema

7. meepy's rating of the film Yi Yi

"But, Grandma, I know so little. Do you know what I want to do when I grow up? I want to tell people things they don't know. Show them stuff they haven't seen. It'll be so much fun. Perhaps one day... I'll find out where you've gone. If I do, can I tell everyone, and bring them to visit you?" At some stages, we just can’t see what others have seen. And we might not understand but we will in time.

8. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Yi Yi

Una película formalmente sencilla y serena, pero ambiciosa y compleja en su afán de mostrar el desasosiego emocional y las inquietudes existenciales propias de la condición humana, apelando por igual al drama y el humor. Una obra verdaderamente notable llena de sabiduría y humanismo.

9. Aldo vs's rating of the film Yi Yi

10. kathmeep's rating of the film Yi Yi

Yi Yi is about life, people at different stages. Childhood’s playfulness, Teenage first loves, Adulthood’s complexity and the fragility of life at the end of it all. A film that started with a wedding and ended with a funeral, with the youngest talking to the eldest. Isn’t that life? At some stages we just can’t see what others have seen. And we might not understand but we will in time.

11. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Yi Yi

Great spiritual journey through one year of a Taipanese family. Excellent scripted and acted. I enjoyed this film enormously but it needs to be enjoyed and absorbed on it's own.

12. Walker's rating of the film Yi Yi

Yang's career equivalent to Fanny&Alexander

13. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Yi Yi

(5+) Qu'est-ce que le cinéma? Now, we've a convincing answer.

14. luminous's rating of the film Yi Yi

excruciating sense of incompleteness in spite of living the same questions, over and over again

15. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Yi Yi

Never ever was there a film made with more heart and soul. Captures the human spirit so eloquently.

16. DSPRKY's rating of the film Yi Yi

There's a lot going on behind the scenes of this slow-moving drama: a weighty weariness, a cultural unease in the capitalist city. The characters are almost never together, and even when they are, they're separated by walls, glass, by an unspoken existential barrier. Only the eyes of a child can pierce the veil.

17. TZUHSIEN TANG's rating of the film Yi Yi

18. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Yi Yi

19. Emil Kurjak's rating of the film Yi Yi

20. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Yi Yi

A beautifully layered and affecting work from Taiwanese master Edward Yang.

21. smndvdcl's rating of the film Yi Yi

A film that warrants hyperbolic praise - let's start with: borderline transcendent.

22. Ethan's rating of the film Yi Yi

This is a true intimate epic that paints a vivid portrait of everyday people and their feelings and regrets. This is also one of the best kid performances in a film, supplying the audience with comic relief that isn't annoying and being a voice of reason in an unreasonable world.

23. Jason's rating of the film Yi Yi

There is just this piercing sense that we are encountering the post-global family, the new organic regime, and that we are dealing w/ the key cinematic work of millennial transition. This is just superlative art, but it is born of humility, and the expression is understated. Formally, every move is precise. Yang is master of the frame, wizard of tempo. Yi Yi: a rapturous account of the human phenomenon in the field.

24. Tim Ellrich's rating of the film Yi Yi

I want to tell them I am old too.

← Previous 1 3 4 5