Let me share with you my New Year resolutions.
(1) Watch 211 films this 2011.
I’m not sure if 211 is a realistic goal. I know that I watch a lot of films. I can watch as much as six films in one day when I’m in marathon mood. I can watch as much as 30 films in two weeks during film festivals. (Mind you, I only watch films during weekends or after work.)
Watching 211 films in one year means I have to watch at least four movies in a week. At the rate I’m going, that’s a piece of cake. But the problem is I’m not always in marathon mood and there are only two film festivals (Cinemanila and Cinemalaya) where I can watch as much as 30 films during its run. That’s the challenge.
(2) Stop being allergic to pre-2000 films.
Aside from the quantity of films that I must see, I realize that I need to broaden the type of films that I watch as well. I am somewhat allergic to older films. Around 90% of what I’ve seen are films released this decade. This 2011, I will try my best to meet the masters – Mike de Leon, Ishmael Bernal, Lino Brocka, Alfred Hitchcock, Dario Argento, etc.
(3) Spend more time updating my blog and less time on social media.
To keep track of these goals, I’ll blog about the films that I’ve seen once or twice a month. I can’t write reviews for each film, but I’ll rate them at the very least. You can visit my blog at www.pixelatedpopcorn.blogspot.com.
Below is a list of films I’ve seen so far. My eyes are set firmly on the goal: 211 films this 2011.
Not in MUBI (substituted by a random film):
16. Presa, dir. Adolfo Alix
22. Frankie and Alice, dir. Geoffrey Sax
23. Handumanan, dir. Seymour Barros-Sanchez
24. Hospital Boat, dir. Arnel Mardoquio
48. Senior Year, dir. Jerrold Tarog
76. Deadline, dir. Joel Lamangan
87. 4 3 2 1, dir. Noel Clarke & Mark Davis
92. Keka, dir. Quark Henares
95. Circuit, dir. Dirk Shafer
96. Rain Town, dir. Hiroyasu Ishida
98. Let the Love Begin, dir. Mac Alejandre
101. Magnifico, dir. Maryo delos Reyes
104. The Roommate, dir. Christian Christiansen
114. Who’s that Girl?, dir. Wenn Deramas
124. Pisay, dir. Auraeus Solito
126. Kinse, various directors
130. Paalam Aking Bulalakaw, dir. Khavn dela Cruz
135. Kasambuhay, Habambuhay, various directors
140. The Tunnel, dir. Carlo Ledesma
146. Quarantine 2: The Terminal, dir. John Pogue
155. Bahay Bata, dir. Eduardo Roy
160. Hanapbuhay (short)
161. Oliver’s Apartment (short)
162. Immanuel (short)
163. Debut (short)
165. Un Diutay Mundo (short)
166. Samarito (short)
167. Walang Katapusang Kwarto (short)
169. Nino Bonito (short)
170. Liberacion, dir. Adolfo Alix
174. Bisperas, dir. Jeffrey Jeturian
176. Patikul, dir. Joel Lamangan
178. Gayuma, dir. Alvin Yapan
201. Temptation Island, dir. Chris Martinez
209. Rakenrol, dir. Quark Henares
211. Crossbow (short), dir. David Michod
217. No Other Woman, dir. Ruel Bayani
220. The Adventures of Pureza, dir. Soxie Topacio
224. Retreat, dir. Carl Tibbetts
232. Ka Oryang, dir. Sari Dalena
233. My Paranormal Romance, dir. Victor Villanueva
234. Six Degrees of Separation from Lilia Cuntapay, dir. Antoinette Jadaone
235. Big Boy, dir. Shireen Seno
236. Boundary, dir. Benito Bautista
242. Anatomiya ng Korupsiyon, dir. Dennis Marasigan
244. The Road, dir. Yam Laranas
250. Shake, Rattle, & Roll 13, dir. Richard Somes / Jerrold Tarog / Chris Martinez
252. Sky High, dir. Mike Mitchell