A top 20 list of my favorite director’s movies.
1. Breathless: My favorite movie of all time. The directing and editing contribute to one of the most free-wheeling and jazzy movies ever. So wildly romantic that I have a smile on face for the entire hour and a half. I could write forever on this one, so I’ll just stop now.
2. Band of Outsiders: I love early JLG. Another fun, free movie with a great crime subplot. The dance scene in the cafe is one of those classic Godard scenes that make you either love or hate him. It makes me love him.
3. Pierrot Le Fou: Lush color cinematography from Raoul Coutard. Maybe my favorite color movie ever and for sure the first Blu-Ray purchase if I ever join the hi-def bandwagon. Belmondo and Karina play so well off each other.
4. Weekend: This has grown on me through the years. It is a complete assault to the senses – blaring horns and screams, vivid color scheme, random acts of violence. Also, offers a great critique on class, but doesn’t get as over-the-top preachy as some of his later movies would. And WTF at the ending?! Love it.
5. Vivre Sa Vie: It’s hard not to love Karina. She is the epitome of cool. I also love the tableaux presentation that allows JLG to sprinkle in shout-outs to several genres.