Just getting started… a work in progress
Daniel Tammet’s on-line language course for beginners
I haven’t checked this out yet so I’m not endorsing it but I may try the Spanish course in the near future. Has anyone tried either of the courses, French or Spanish?
BBC Languages for beginners and post-beginners Test Your French and get started! It’s free.
BBC Languages- Learning Tips Many ideas for memorizing vocabulary, speaking and listening, and using media…
Here’s my method for intermediate and advanced French language students: La Minute de la connaissance. Ça m’intéresse
1. Choose a video clip with a content that interests you.
2. Listen closely several times and write down the script for dictation practice. Look up vocabulary of difficult words.
3. Memorize the script. Pace yourself by speaking simultaneously with the presenter. Master the rhythm and the flow of the language.
4. Record on Garage Band or by using any recording device of your choice. Repeat as many times as necessary to be able to perform within three minutes or so without sounding like you’re reading from a book or regurgitating a prepared script.
5. Listen to your recording for pronunciation errors and unnatural prosody and try again.
6. Practice makes perfect. Stop when satisfied.
This should help the intermediate and advanced students with both oral and written production of the language.
Watch films in the original language with the subtitles in the original language. If this is too difficult, switch to subtitles in your mother tongue until you are ready for the total immersion.
Another idea is to choose one character you love in a French film and want to emulate or who is somewhat representative of your own style and learn his/her script. You should be able to pick up quite a bit of vocabulary this way.
TED Global features talks in English by different speakers, the transcripts of which are available in various languages including French.
Here’s an example . Comparing the English speech with the French transcript can be informative for learning how to translate what you want to say in English into French.
01 animation, 75 minutes
02 animation, 30 minutes
03 short film, 12 minutes
04 animation, 77 minutes
05 short film, 13 minutes
06 animation, 75 minutes
07 documentary film, 53 minutes
08 short film, 13 minutes
09 film, 40 minutes
10 documentary, 49 minutes
11 animation, 13 minutes
12 short film, 18 minutes