- No remakes (especially idiotic Hollywood remakes)
- No sequels (especially idiotic Hollywood remakes)
- Released in movie theaters (exception: Black Mirror on Netflix)
- Cross-genre allowed (e.g., Under The Skin is more sci-fi than horror)
- “Post-horror” stuff that critics love like The Babadook or Under the Shadow is definitely NOT allowed.
- Final list: Jan 1, 2010.
Recommendations always welcome!
Interestingly, there is only American horror film in my top 10, Eli Roth’s Hostel. I feel that contemporary American horror behaves like a zombie: it propagates itself like The Thing through a parade of remakes, prequels, and tie-ins,but it is really dead inside. In the age of Global cinema, horror has been outsourced to “developing” countries (France, Spain, Eastern Europe…)
Follow-up: GREATEST HORROR SERIES OF THE ZEROES https://mubi.com/lists/greatest-horror-films-of-2010-2020Read less