1. José Neves's rating of the film The Chase

35mm. The hunting here is, above all, a stylistic figure of the dream, a way for cinema to look at itself through a dramatic plot and to repeat ways of narrating according to a different perspective. Modern cinema "avant la lettre", nothing new in its time (De MiIlle, for example) but deeply consisted, structured and narrated, with exemplary narrative options of functionality and style. A beautiful discovery.

2. SpacePirate's rating of the film The Chase

Great noir of the psyche, with the incoherent narrative and dream sequences making it more memorable than some. The source material is from the same writer as The Phantom Lady, another great noir time has forgotten. The cast is great here, with Michele Morgan never looking more desirable and fatale-ish. Cummings, who I am not a huge fan of, does well here and plays off Lorre and others excellently. 4 stars

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film The Chase

"It's happened again." "It's happening again." I kept seeing glimpses of Lynch, along with a few flashes of Gilliam's Brazil. I kept having flashbacks of Bill Morrison's Ghost Trip in the final Peter Lorre scene. Thank you, Mubi. Not just for the film, but the framing of it in this month's films, and the essay in Notebook by Jeremy Carr.

4. William R Clark's rating of the film The Chase

2.5. It makes quite a lot of sense. Villains are much more fun than the heroes.

5. Monkey Flix's rating of the film The Chase

A superb noir that's more than noir. It has most of the genre's tropes and many of the characters from Central Casting, but then it doesn't follow the well-worn road. It's as if somebody is driving from the back seat.

6. Eric Miller's rating of the film The Chase

This is the first black and white film I've ever watched. After watching it I now appreciate color more. This movie was in a time where women were degraded the slap scene where he slapped the nail lady sat reminded me that times have changed. The tone of the film stayed the same in the fact there wasn't a lot of change in pace.The film wasn't like today more jump scare type of horrors instead it had a monotone scare.

7. El Biffo's rating of the film The Chase

The parts that aren't confusing are predictable, but this is tightly wound, tense and sufficiently entertaining, though not so Noir-ish in terms of photography. Peter Lorre is in it, so if you love him, that's enough really. 3.6*

8. Michael Thomas's rating of the film The Chase

This film is vastly over rated. This is not surrealism, this is just bad editing in a vain effort to stitch together what appears to be a film production gone wrong. I don't know if the script wasn't working or the studio cut production midway. But it looks and feels like they tried to make a whole film from less than half.

9. Slappy McGee's rating of the film The Chase

What a surprising and delightfully fun film noir. Very well directed and extremely well acted by the top four. A seemingly straight-forward noir that takes a few turns and leaves you rubbing your head a bit wondering where it all went wonky. (I did NOT see that twist coming). It's a fun trip into the dark and tumble world of noir, so if you've never dipped your toe into it, this is as good a place as any to start.

10. Kavionna's rating of the film The Chase

I enjoyed the film so much. It had so much action that was so suspenseful. I was so upset at the scene where Chuck and Lora went to the bar and she ended up getting stabbed. The part that had me on my toes when Chuck ended up getting shot by one of the gangsters Gino. Ripley did a great job in this film by building suspense of each scene by the action such as the gunshots and the big crash where Roman and Gino died.

11. DSpaceNine's rating of the film The Chase

Great classic adventure flick, with some unexpected turns along the way!

12. Loz Loory's rating of the film The Chase

Story poorly plotted and unfocused. Felt like a mixed-up Orson Welles movie. Husband is sadistic and creepy--reminded me of Tarantino film characters. Michéle Morgan has no screen presence. How strange to think she was almost cast as Ilsa in "Casablanca," except she wanted more money than Ingrid Bergman! Sad to see Peter Lorre wasted in a film. He does his best to salvage his role, but better direction was needed.

13. WeDigRecords's rating of the film The Chase

Lorre is solid. The story is average. Wouldn’t pay a penny over a sawbuck to see it.

14. Sakinah's rating of the film The Chase

The main factor in The Chase was the suspense. From how the outcome of a love triangle would turn out to a who-did-it situation, the common thread between each suspenseful moment was the unknown. The characters end up getting caught up in some type of a falsified tale of a trip to Havana. Though intriguing, this "trip" left me confused as the ending took me in a whole different path than the film had originally led.

15. Greg's rating of the film The Chase

A murder, an affair, an abusive husband, and a very daring escape. "The Chase," by Author Ripley truly embodies all the true elements of noir film, this film kept the thrills coming form beginning to end. Heart- pounding work, and a fantastic example of a classic crime film, and wonderfully preformed.

16. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film The Chase

17. Wee Hunk's rating of the film The Chase

The film is not in great shape. There are parts where it's hard to understand what's happening. If you stick it out to the end it makes sense, but you have to fill in the gaps yourself. Worth it just for Peter Lorre's performance.

18. Karthik's rating of the film The Chase

A masterpiece of narrative incoherence with all the poetic lucidity of a fever dream! That last shot, a structural rhyme, is inexhaustible in its clear-eyed confusions: love is the nightmare from which we will never awake.

19. Michael Harbour's rating of the film The Chase

The gimmick doesn't quite work, but it's an interesting attempt. And the film includes some good performances including delightful Peter Lorre moments early on.

20. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film The Chase

21. Pulpwino's rating of the film The Chase

Good fun, with a lot of quirky, humorous scenes to keep it enjoyable throughout.

22. Daniel S.'s rating of the film The Chase

**1/2 Steve Cochran as a mad and vicious gangster, Peter Lorre as his second, Morgan re-creating her PORT OF SHADOWS performance, the killer dog, the dream. Average but with some good moments.