This is for the second part of the discussion (Cinephilia in your city), to get an idea of what is screened in the world at the moment. Releases in France are on Wednesdays, so you can go for the Friday 1/9/09 weekend. This week is more convenient to be able to get the B.O. numbers. You may post your list in this post or in a separate post as you wish.
Metro Manila (The Philippines), all releases for the week of 1/14/09 - 1/20/09:
1. Ang Tanging Ina N'yong Lahat (Wenn V. Deramas, Philippines)
2. Bedtime Stories (Adam Shankman, USA)
3. Bride Wars (Gary Winick, USA)
4. Changeling (Clint Eastwood, USA)
5. Desperadas 2 (Joel Lamangan, Philippines)
6. Iskul Bukol: 20 Years After (Tony Y. Reyes, Philippines)
7. Love Me Again (Land Down Under) (Rory B. Quintos, Philippines)
8. One Night Only (Jose Javier Reyes, Philippines)
9. Shake Rattle & Roll 10 (Mike Tuviera, Topel Lee, Philippines)
10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, USA)
11. The Haunting of Molly Hartley (Mickey Liddell, USA)
12. The Spirit (Frank Miller, USA)
13. Transporter 3 (Olivier Megaton, France)
(only 1-3 screens)
14. Baler (Mark Meily, Philippines)
15. Binyag (Mike Jacinto, Philippines)
16. No Country for Old Men (Coen Brothers, USA)
17. The Day the Earth Stood Still (Scott Derrickson, USA)
18. Twilight (Catherine Hardwicke, USA)
19. IMAX: SEA Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure (Sean MacLeod Phillips, USA/Canada)
20. IMAX: Space Station 3D (Toni Myers, USA)
- Wednesday is the day when new films are released)
- A good number of the plethora of local films in release are residue from the Metro Manila Film Festival, a yearly event taking place from December 25 - January 7 [or thereabouts] where only local commercial films [between 7-9] selected for the festival are screened. There is a complete blackout of foreign films during this period.
Delhi (India). Films that opened 1/9/09:
Kaash Mere Hote (Wish you were mine) (2009/B.H. Tharun Kumar/India) - Nationwide
Bad Luck Govind (2009/Varun Khanna./India) - Nationwide
The President is Coming (2009/Kunaal Roy Kapur/India) - Nationwide
Chandi Chowk to China (2008/Nikhil Advani/ India) - 5 DEL venue&key cities(paid preview)
RocknRolla (2008/Guy Ritchie/Uk) - 8 DEL venue& Key cities
The Accidental Husband (2008/Griffin Dune/US) - 11 DEL venue& Key cities
Outsourced (2006/John Jeffcoat/US) - 2 DEL venue & Key cities
In Bruges (2008/ Martin Mc Donagh/UK/US) - 3 DEL venue&Key cities
Ghajini (2008/ A R Murugadoss/India) - The movie continues to dominate screen all over India even in it's second week run.
- DEL = Delhi
India: Openings 16 January
Chandi Chowk to China (Nikhil Advani, India) - Nationwide
Merry Christmas (Christian Carion French/German) - 1DEL venue.
Tri- Continental Film Festival: Documentaries (for issue of human rights)
PSBT film festival: Documentaries (On Migration)
London (UK). Films that opened weekend 1/9/09:
A Christmas Tale (Un Conte De Noel) (2008, Desplechin, France) 4 London venues & Key cities
Beverly Hills Chihuahua (2008, Gosnell, USA) Nationwide
Boogie (2008, Muntean, Denmark) 1 LDN venue (Renoir) & Key cities
Chandni Chowk To China (2009, Advani, USA) 1 LDN venue & Key cities
Clubbed (2009, Thompson, UK) 3 LDN venues & Key cities
Hansel & Gretel (2007, Yim, S.Korea) 1 LDN venue (The ICA) & Key cities
My Bloody Valentine 3-D (2009, Lussier, USA) Nationwide
Notorious (Reissue) (1946, Hitchcock, USA) 1 LDN Venue (BFI Southbank) & Key cities
Seven Pounds (2008, Muccino, USA) Nationwide
The Wrestler (Aronofsky, 2008, USA) Nationwide
Paris (France). Films that opened the week of Wed., 1/7/09 (First releases)
- De l'autre côté du lit (2008/Pouzadoux/France) 578 screens, 517,597 admissions
- Twilight (2008/Hardwicke/USA) 454 screens, 680,000+ admissions
- Che part 1 (2008/Soderberg/France/USA/Spain) 377 screens, 208,691 adm.
- Un barrage contre le pacifique (2007/Panh/Belgium/France) 115 screens, 69,299 adm.
- Frozen River (2008/Hunt/USA) 53 screens, 41,824 adm.
- Choron dernière (2008/Carles/Martin/France) DOC 32 screens
- Nuit de chien (2008/Schroeter/France/Germany/Portugal) 12 screens
- Mutum (2007/Kogut/Brazil/France) 10 screens
- The Rocker (2009/Cattaneo/USA) 10 screens
- Everything is fine (Tout est parfait) (2008/Fournier/Canada) 9 screens
- Espelho magico (2005/Oliveira/Portugal) 8 screens
- Import/Export (2007/Seidl/Austria) 8 screens
- La vrai vie est ailleurs (2006/Choffat/Switzerland) 3 screens
- De Unge Ar (2007/Thuesen/Denmark) 1 screen
- A blockbuster usually reaches over 1000 screens.
- Under 5 screens means limited release restricted to Paris most of the time.
Andrew Grant & Kevin Lee:
New York City (USA). Films that opened 1/16/09:
- Chandni Chowk to China (Nikhil Advani, India))
- Cherry Blossoms (Doris Dorrie, Germany)
- Hotel for Dogs (Thor Freudenthal, USA)
- My Bloody Valentine 3D (Patrick Lussier, USA)
- Notorious (George Tillman Jr., USA)
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Steve Carr, USA)
Rank, Title (Distributor, Country of Origin, # of screens)
- Che Part One: The Argentine - 284 screens
- Only one new release!
- Thick as Thieves, Taiwan
- Midnight Meat Train, USA
- Eden Lake, UK
- Dan Dao (Ballistic), Taiwan
- Chugyeogjia (The Chaser), South Korea
- Since Andrew is in New York and I've been in Taiwan and Japan this past week, here are the weekend numbers from those two countries.