Paolo and Vittorio Taviani's Caesar Must Die has won the Golden Bear at this year's Berlinale. The other awards, presented by Mike Leigh and his International Jury (Anton Corbijn, Asghar Farhadi, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jake Gyllenhaal, François Ozon, Boualem Sansal and Barbara Sukowa):
Silver Bear for Best Short Film: Atsushi Wada's The Great Rabbit.
The FIPRESCI Jury (International Federation of Film Critics) has announced three awards, one for the Competition: Miguel Gomes's Tabu; another for Panorama: Héléna Klotz's Atomic Age; and the other for the Forum: Sacha Polak's Hemel. Here're the names of the jury members this year.
The Caligari Prize, donated by the communal cinemas and FILM-DIENST magazine (2000 euros for the director + 2000 euros for financing further screenings in Germany), goes to Emin Alper's Beyond the Hill. Special mentions go to Silvina Landsmann's Soldier/Citizen, Celina Murga's Normal School and to "the most challenging film in this year's Forum program," Vincent Dieutre's Jaurès.
"The independent juries of the Berlinale have awarded prizes to three Forum films: The 22nd NETPAC Award (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema) was given to Modest Reception by Iranian director Mani Haghighi. The Delay by Rodrigo Plá received the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury as well as the Tagesspiegel Readers' Jury Award. And the Award of the Conféderation Internationale des Cinémas D'Art et Essai (C.I.C.A.E.) was given to Our Homeland by Yang Yonghi."
IndieWIRE's Peter Knegt has the winners of this year's Teddy Awards, "a subprogram of the Berlinale that puts the spotlight on the fest's LGBT/queer content":
- Best Feature Film: Ira Sachs's Keep the Lights On.
- Best Documentary: Malika Zouhall-Worrall and Katherine Fairfax Wright's Call Me Kuchu.
- Best Short Film: Claudia Llosa's Loxoro.
- Jury Prize: Vincent Dieutre's Jaurès.
- Special Teddy Awards: Mario Montez and Ulrike Ottinger.
- Best Feature 2012: Srdjan Dragojevic's Parada (The Parade). 2nd place: Daniele Vicari's Diaz - Don't Clean Up This Blood. 3rd place: Cao Hamburger's Xingu.
- Best Documentary 2012: Matthew Akers's Marina Abramovic The Artist is Present. 2nd place: Malika Zouhali-Worrall and Katherine Fairfax Wright's Call Me Kuchu. 3rd place: Namir Abdel Messeeh's La Vierge, les Coptes et Moi (The Virgin, The Copts and Me).
- Crystal Bear for the Best Feature Film: Reis Çelik's Lal Gece.
- Special Mention Feature Film: Ella Lemhagen's Kronjuvelerna.
- Crystal Bear for the Best Short Film: Sam Holst's Meathead.
- Special Mention Short Film: Isamu Hirabayashi's 663114.
The Generation Kplus Children's Jury awards these:
- Crystal Bear for the Best Film: Olivia Silver's Arcadia.
- Special Mention: Kaori Imaizumi's Kikoeteru, furi wo sita dake (As If I Heard You).
- Crystal Bear for the Best Short Film: Matthew Moore's Julian.
- Special Mention: Billie Pleffer's B I N O.
And the Generation Kplus International Jury 2012 awards these:
- Grand Prix of the Deutsches Kinderhilfswerk for the Best Film: Boudewijn Koole's Kauwboy.
- Special Mention: Rajan Khosa's Gattu.
- Special Prize of the Deutsche Kinderhilfswerk for the Best Short Film: Billie Pleffer's B I N O.
- Special Mention: Thais Fujinaga's L.
The International Short Film Jury — Emily Jacir, Sandra Hüller and David O'Reilly — has awarded the DAAD Short Film Prize to Trevor Anderson for The Man that Got Away and the Berlin Short Film Nominee for the European Film Award to Justine Triet's Vilaine fille mauvais garçon (Two Ships).