BAMcinématek has announced a first round of titles for its fourth annual BAMcinemaFest, running June 20 through July 1, and we've already placed one of them at the top of our must-see list: The Unspeakable Act, directed by frequent Notebook contributor Dan Sallitt. Here's the official synopsis: "Jackie's romantic feelings for her brother Matthew form the unlikely backdrop against which the milestones of adolescence — choosing a college, losing one's virginity — unspool in film critic Sallitt's long-awaited directorial return, an unnervingly dispassionate take on the last taboo, set in Brooklyn's Ditmas Park."
The other narrative features slated for the 12-day summer festival:
- Rick Alverson's The Comedy. A roundup's in the pipeline.
- Craig Zobel's Compliance. See the Sundance roundup.
- So Yong Kim's For Ellen. Roundup forthcoming.
- Brian M Cassidy and Melanie Shatzky's Francine. Likewise.
- Ry Russo-Young's Nobody Walks. Sundance roundup.
- Keith Miller's Welcome to Pine Hill. The Slamdance roundup's got the trailer.
And the docs:
- Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady's Detropia. Sundance.
- Brian M Cassidy and Melanie Shatzky's The Patron Saints. This roundup may take a while.
- Paul Lovelace and Jessica Wolfson's Radio Unnameable. Likewise.
- Jonathan Caouette's Walk Away Renée. See the Cannes 2011 roundup.
For news and tips throughout the day every day, follow @thedailyMUBI on Twitter and/or the RSS feed.